Friday, June 17, 2011

New Armor for Saber

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic
After several days of patterning and cutting out sintra, I had a new design for the front of my Saber armor. The whole costume is getting an overhaul for AX. Sadly, there were issues with the sintra not fitting up as nicely as I would have liked. It warps some when heated, and that causes issues when you are trying to get things lined up. So, in a move motivated by a good measure of panic, I decided to make the chest out of wonderflex and minicel foam (basically like craft foam). That's what is pictured above. It's about to get sprayed.

I'm also working on and off on a new Excalibur. The original one is a bit worse for wear, so I'd like to replace it for the convention if I have time. Here's part of it roughed out:
Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

3 comments:

cianna said...

Wow, the armor looks great! I'd love to take a try at making a cosplay with epic armor one day, but I've never worked with those materials before~

Can't wait to see the final product!

Maridah said...

@Cianna- TY! If you ever want a list of things to use if you decide one day to make some armor, send me an email :) It's not hard, just time consuming and some materials need more tools than others. Most of what I do isn't that special. I make everything in a small apartment space so you might be surprised with what you can do with very limited space/means. Workshop isn't really needed.

Ragnablade said...

wow, very inciteful. I've been contemplating how I would make Mega Man armor.